Mobile Apps Platform
- Mobile App / Android, iPhone App Development Cost
- Native App Development vs Hybrid / PhoneGap App Development
Web Apps Platform
- Web Application Planning
- PHP vs ASP.net Comparison
- Ruby on Rails vs PHP Comparison
- Web Application Framework Comparison
- Web Application Development Process
- Guide to Web Application Development
- Internet Database Development
- PHP & MySQL Development
- e-Business Strategy and Process
- Internet / Online Business Ideas and Strategies for Entrepreneurs
- Hiring a Web Application Company Considerations
- How to Hire a Good Web Application Development Company
- Challanges for hiring Offshore Web Development Company
- Web Development Cost Comparison
Server and Hosting
- Amazon EC2 vs Rackspace Cloud vs Linode
- Cloud vs Dedicated Servers vs Colocation Comparison
- Dedicated / Managed Hosting Comparison
- Shared Hosting vs Managed Hosting
- Domains, DNS, Web Hosting, Email
- Domain Name System and DNS Servers
- All About Domain Name Registration
- Email Services Comparison
- Who is winning the spam war?
- Email Services
- What is Content Management System (CMS)
- Drupal vs Joomla vs WordPress CMS Comparison
- Enterprise CMS Comparison - Summary
- Enterprise Content Management System vs Open Source CMS - Detailed Guide, Security, Performance Statistics
- Pros and Cons of Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal
All About Domain Name System and DNS Servers
DNS, Host Name, DNS Servers
by Bernard Kohan
What is DNS?
DNS stands for Domain Name System which is a hierarchical naming system created for translating host names to IP addresses. For example www.comentum.com translates to 22.214.171.124
What is a Host Name?
A Host Name is simply a name identifying a computer on a network or a domain on the Internet.
Below are some examples of host names on the Internet:
www.comentum.com (host name for Comentum's web server)
www.google.com (host name for Google's web server)
mail.comentum.com (host name for Comentum's email server)
What is a DNS Server?
A DNS Server is a server computer that provides DNS services. For example, if a request is sent to a DNS Server to translate www.comentum.com, the server returns the IP address of 126.96.36.199. A DNS Server does not require much processing power since it is just a simple database server for translating domain host names to their corresponsing IP addresses.What is DNS Services.
DNS Services is a monthly service for hosting your domain and host names for your domain on a DNS Server. This service will identify and serve IP information about where your Website, email, FTP and other services are hosted.
(DNS service is usually combined with website hosting and email services.)
The cost is usually included with website hosting.
Bernard Kohan is a mobile app and web application development and technology analyst expert. He is available to discuss any issues or questions you have about web development and the best choices for your company or project.
Bernard can be reached at
Contact Us »
Web App Estimator
Select and unselect modules such CMS or eCommerce for your web application and watch the cost update in real time.Try It »